- Third Sunday of Advent service on Next Sunday, December 15
- Christmas ahead of gratitude
Bible: Ruth 1:1-7, 15-18
- Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehemjudah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
- And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehemjudah. And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
- And Elimelech Naomi's husband died; and she was left, and her two sons.
- And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years.
- And Mahlon and Chilion died also both of them; and the woman was left of her two sons and her husband.
- Then she arose with her daughters in law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that the LORD had visited his people in giving them bread.
- Wherefore she went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters in law with her; and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah.
- And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.
- And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
- Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
- When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.