- Nineth Sunday after Pentecost service on Last Sunday, August 2
- What is worship
Bible: John 4:3-15, 19-27
- He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.
- And he must needs go through Samaria.
- Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.
- Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.
- There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
- (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
- Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
- Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
- The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
- Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
- Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
- But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
- The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
- The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
- Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
- Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
- Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
- But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
- God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
- The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
- Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.
- And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?