- Second Sunday of Lent service tomorrow, February 28
- Isaac's obedience and mistakes
Bible: Genesis 26:1-12
- And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.
- And the LORD appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:
- Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;
- And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
- Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
- And Isaac dwelt in Gerar:
- And the men of the place asked him of his wife; and he said, She is my sister: for he feared to say, She is my wife; lest, said he, the men of the place should kill me for Rebekah; because she was fair to look upon.
- And it came to pass, when he had been there a long time, that Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out at a window, and saw, and, behold, Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife.
- And Abimelech called Isaac, and said, Behold, of a surety she is thy wife: and how saidst thou, She is my sister? And Isaac said unto him, Because I said, Lest I die for her.
- And Abimelech said, What is this thou hast done unto us? one of the people might lightly have lien with thy wife, and thou shouldest have brought guiltiness upon us.
- And Abimelech charged all his people, saying, He that toucheth this man or his wife shall surely be put to death.
- Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him.